At IH, we are lucky to know that we will definitely have three meals a day. Unless you are one of those people who sleep in till lunch time, when we wake up in the morning we know that on Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat, we are going to be served a selection of cold cereal and on Tues/Thurs/Sun, hot breakfast. Not everyone is lucky enough to have this security.
Ongoing hunger is a terrible worldwide problem. It:
- Can cause many other health problems, often causing permanent damage to vital organs such as the heart, liver, kidneys and the brain
- This in turn limits children in both the present and the future, as it can affect their ability to support their future families
- Hunger and malnutrition is the world’s number one health risk
- 1/8 people go to bed hungry each night
- Poor nutrition is the leading cause in deaths in children under 5 years of age (3.1 million each year).
To help fight world hunger, join the 40 Hour Famine. During the 40 Hour Famine, you can give up anything for 40 Hours to raise money – not just food. For example, giving up your phone, internet, speaking or furniture are appropriate alternatives to food that can help show your support for the cause. This year, it is the 40 Hour Famine’s 40th anniversary. Since it started in 1975, around $200 million has been raised and has helped to reduce hunger and malnutrition, transforming the lives of many families worldwide.
Join the IH team and help fight world hunger today.